By Steve Hatherley
One Big Deck games have always used an uncontrolled area. This variant introduces an uncontrolled area in to regular INWO.
The Uncontrolled Area affects the game as follows:
- When attacking a group from your hand, first place it into the uncontrolled area. If the attack is unsuccessful, the group stays in the uncontrolled area.
- When you successfully destroy a rival’s group, it’s puppets become uncontrolled and are placed in the uncontrolled area.
- Attacks to neutralise: Attacks to neutralise are just like Attacks to Control, except that the group (and its puppets) are placed into the uncontrolled area.
- Groups in the uncontrolled area are considered “in play” (but do not count for Shangri-La’s goal).
- A destroyed group’s puppets going into the uncontrolled area may need testing.
- I thought about attacks to neutralise having a bonus, but I figure that in multiplayer games they are likely to be popular anyway (because they’re not directly helping the attacker) so they probably don’t need a bonus. That can be tested.
- Obviously this makes cards like Schizm a bit more interesting in regular INWO.
- We play www.subgenius.com so that the owner can use either power. He can either draw an extra group card (from his own deck) which goes into the uncontrolled area, or he can spend an action to draw another group card into his hand. (Or he could do both.)
Ideas for new cards
- Plot: Spend an Illuminati Action to put the top group card from all opponent’s decks into the uncontrolled area.
- Plot: +10 to attack an uncontrolled group.
- NWO: Players play with the top card from their group decks revealed.
- NWO: When this card is first played give all groups in the uncontrolled area an action token. Whenever a group then enters the uncontrolled area it gains an action token.
- Group: Spend an action to put the top group card from any deck into the uncontrolled area. (I think this might be a bit powerful, so I’d make it a Personality.)
- Group: Spend this group’s action to use the action of any group in the uncontrolled area that requires an action.
- Group: +10 bonus for direct control of an uncontrolled group. +3 bonus on any attempt to control an uncontrolled group.
- Group: Gets an action token each turn (during the action token placing phase) that it’s in the uncontrolled area. (This makes it more tempting to take over each turn.)
- Resource: At the start of each turn, add an action token to all groups in the uncontrolled area. This power works even if this
- Illuminated goal (and/or goal card): Up to three groups in the uncontrolled area count towards the basic goal for you.
- (If combined with In Media Res)
- Group: Spend an action to put the top two groups from the In Media Res deck into the uncontrolled area.
- Group: Spend an action to look at the top three cards of the In Media Res deck and put them back on the top of the deck in any order.
- Group: Spend an action to look at the top six cards of the In Media Res deck, put one of them into the uncontrolled area and the other four on the bottom of the deck in any order.
- Rule: Spend an action from any group to add a card from the In Media Res deck into the uncontrolled area.